Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, November 18, 2013

Taco Seasoning and Tortellini




This week we forgot to go grocery shopping because we were out of town for so long.  So by the end of the week we were really struggling to figure out what dishes we wanted to make.  I feel like I am in college all over again, we eat so much pasta.  So we opened up our new package of Tortellini when we realized, Oh Mist!  We don't have any red sauce, any cream to make a white sauce, what are we going to eat with this tortellini!  Sister Woods settled for cheese, olive oil, and salt.  But I just couldn't handle it.  I needed something more to satisfy my Tortellini craving.  So, I put taco seasoning all over it.
It was nasty.  But I was hungry.
On our way to Zone Conference! Drinking "Buffalo Juniors" in honor of Elder Stricklin!

Regardless of the lack of variety in our kitchen, this week was AMAZING!   It all started out with having interviews with President on Monday, which was actually my first interview with President Miles.  It was a blast, and it's just always fun to be with the district. We then spent Tuesday and Wednesday down in Singen.  






I love the train ride to Singen.  We really have 3 routes we can take, up through Offenburg, directly through Titisee, or down through Basel and along the Rhein.  Because of train times all three routes take about the same amount of time, so we really just sort of pick which way we want to go.  This time we went down through Basel, and it's so fun to see the small settlements on the Rhein.  You also feel cool looking out the window and saying to yourself, "See that grass? That's Swiss Grass?" Or even when we are going down to Basel from Freiburg (before we head east) it's fun to look out on the Donau and say "See those trees?  They're French trees"  Who woulda ever thunk?

Our District
Dinner!

Our Zone!

Zone Conference

Zone Conference
So something that was mentioned a couple of times at Zone Training and Conference was the challenge to have 20 meaningful conversations every day.  I remembered it was something Elder Root had mentioned him and Elder Gochnour doing.  Well, Sister Woods and I just couldn't let them beat us and so we've taken this challenge upon ourselves too and it has been amazing.  It's not that I didn't talk to people before, but having a goal to work towards has been such a help!  I have been having conversations with so many cool people!
Sisters Sleepover at Zone Conference
But seriously, I talk with people from Syria, Hungary, West Africa, South Africa, Finland, Peru, Iraq, China, Singapore, just all over the place!  How sad is it that in a world of technology, we have in a way lost the precious ability to just have a good conversation with the person next to us.  I remember something that struck me when I was down in Mexico with Granny was the way the people reached out to each other as a human being.  They say hallo and they talk with each other.  They understand that we are all children of God.  Honestly, if people even just understood that one truth.  That all of us are Children of a Heavenly Father, and are one divine family, the world would be such a better place.
Meeting Elder Sharp from Australia, Elder Root's companion when she arrived in the mission

Elder Barber from England! He read my blog before his mission.
The other night we needed 3 more conversations to reach our goal of 20, so as we were walking by a nice looking old man, we stepped over and asked how he's doing.  He then says to us, "Oh, really bad (schlect)" We ask him why, and then the sneaky old man pulls a clown nose out of his pocket and puts it on! It was 17% weird, 83% HILARIOUS! Old German men.  You gotta love them.

I don't have too much to report this week, just because it was such a whirlwind!  So many thoughts, I have to have time to process it all!  But I am so grateful to be here.  Wow, being a missionary is just the craziest thing.  It truly is the experience of a lifetime.
Hedgehog!

But the best part is that you don't have to be a full-time mission to have a life full of adventure and funny old man stories.  You just need to live the life that God wants you to live.  As we align our lives with his and do his will, he will give us the life we were always meant to have.  The life that refines us into who we want to be.  It takes a lot of hard times, and a lot of refinement, but God has a plan for us.  He knows us, loves us, and wants us to learn of Him and His Son.  

And, I will let you in on a little secret to happiness.  Talk with people.  Share with others the things you know to be true.  Be a missionary!  As we let others into our lives, and give these precious pearls of truth to others, we will find more happiness than we have ever known.  I can testify to that, because it has happened to me!  Share your light with others, that is why God has given you your happiness and light!  To share it!  Ye are the light of the world.

Missionary work isn't scary.  Missionary work is love.  Love and conversations.  That's the recipe for missionary work.

I love you all so much.  I am so grateful for your light and the pearls of truth you have brought into my life.  We are here to help one another, and I know that I am who I am because of the righteous influence of those I hold to be dear.
I love you!
Love,
Sister Henry
PS  The work is...going. I'm not going to lie, it is not easy to work when you don't see baptisms. Definitely being a missionary here refines you in different ways. But I think how much patients God has with these people, and I can do it too. We are coming together as a mission to really fast and work to have 180 baptisms before the new year, because our goal was 290 this year. I've worked harder, talked with more people, and studied harder than I have before and it's been really cool. I just keep optimistic so I don't get discouraged :) It's the Lord's work, I just have to remember that.
     My interview with President was great. I just told him how happy I am to be a missionary. He talked about improving studies but he talked about that with everyone. Everyone could hear me outside the door because I was just saying how happy I am so loudly.
     Zone Training and Zone Conference just made me want to be more focused and work harder. 
Elders wearing our glasses

Cute kids with lanterns in Singen


I am obsessed with Pigeons!


Random picture of me.
Freiburg (photo by Sister Miles)

Black Forest with snowcapped trees! (photo by Sister Miles)

Black Forest behind the Miles' hotel in Freiburg (photo by Sister Miles)

Cute Sister Woods!

3 comments:

  1. She has a gift for capturing it all! Photo's, words, what it's all about! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beyond incredible, in her granny's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course my first reaction with her letters are to giggle…her way of story telling is priceless. But then her sweet pure missionary spirit shines through and it gets me every time!! I am so thankful to be able to read her letters every week.

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!