Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, March 10, 2014

I Love Kids!


Austria is so beautiful!!!
This was at Festung Hohensalzburg
"The True Religion"
So, yesterday I had one of the best opportunities any missionary could have, I got to teach Primary!  The Primary president called the night before and said every one was sick and asked if we could teach the sharing time lesson the next morning.  Sister Clark was needed to play Piano in Relief Society so I got to take this one solo!  

The theme was for 20 minutes to talk about the Atonement and how we can repent of our sins through Jesus Christ.  It was probably the most fun lesson I have ever taught!  The first thing I did was I told the kids that when I say something incorrectly in German, they can just raise their hand and tell me how to say it right.  I think they loved that part and it helped me out a lot!

We made up a story together about a guy named Adam.  We talked about how Adam would sometimes do bad things, like hit his brother, or not clean his room when his mom told him to.  We talked about how Adam has a Spirit and a Body and when Adam does these bad things, these sins, he hurts his spirit.  Every time he did a bad thing, we ripped up his little paper spirit. 

Then we talked about Adam saying sorry and trying to fix it, and one of the kids came and taped up his spirit but we all agreed it still looked a little broken.

I asked the kids, "Who do you think can help Adam have a brand new spirit?!"  Like 4 or 5 of them yell "Jesus Christus!"  and I pulled out a new Geist for Adam.  We talked about how when Adam repents and has help from Jesus Christ, then it is like he has a totally new spirit, a totally new heart.

We then talked about Alma the younger and read some of his story in Alma chapter 6

13 Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the  pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had  rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
 14 Yea, and I had murdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
 15 Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds.
 16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
The kids loved when we said "Damned."  So we then talked about how bad Alma was.  He did some really bad stuff after all!  I mean he says even himself that he had led people unto destruction, basically murdered them.  I asked the kids in Primary, "Who thinks Alma can not repent?" about half of the kids raised their hand and then I ask, "Who thinks Alma can repent?" and about half of them raise their hands.  We then read together further:
 17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
 18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
 19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
When I read out loud the end of it, the kids were so cute and they all gasped, etc.  We talked about how even Alma, who had performed so many sins that a lot of us will never experience, (and performed these sins when his dad was a Prophet and had taught him what was right!) was even forgiven and all he had to do was have the help of Jesus Christ.
It was so easy for the kids to understand, and so exciting to learn about with them.  It really struck me and even this morning I was thinking about it as I got ready for the day.  Jesus Christ has forgiven me of every thing I had repented of.  He has literally helped me be born again.  Multiple times!  If that isn't a reason to smile and talk to everyone I see, I don't know what is!  Our guilt, burdens, and pains can literally be taken away!  No matter how far you have fallen, it is impossible to be somewhere where his Light and Hope cant rescue you!  He is God.  
I am just so grateful for His light and love in my life.  I say this often, but every day I think about how magical and beautiful my life is.  I know it's this way only because I have chosen to give up the things I thought I wanted for the things He knew I wanted.  Its scary to let go of what we cherish, but who better to trust than Someone who knows our hearts perfectly?  He knows what we truly want, what truly is buried in there, so far that we don't realize that part of our heart exists.
 I am just so grateful for my Heavenly Father and His perfect plan!  His plan to send me here on earth and experience the life that comes with it!
I love you all so much!  Please learn of Him!
Love,
Sister Henry
Celebrating her HALF birthday (20 1/2) and her HALFWAY mark on her mission with her American favorite, spice cake

A pup on the train!

Hi Dad, I will definitely pray for you!  I think that's one of the hardest things for me to hear, that I can't be there helping if I could.  But I know the best thing I could do for you is to just work harder and be a better missionary!  Hopefully God won't refine you too much, I think you shine just the way you are!
I cant wait for Spencer to get his mission call :) :) :)
I love you!
Sister Clark at the internet cafe they email us from =)

Q and A:
 How was Mission Leadership Council this time?
Awesome, I loved every minute and went away so uplifted, edified, and ready to work!

What did you guys do?  
On Thursday we get there, usually have a spirirtual meeting, dinner, and then also a sort of business discussion on just a certain theme.  So this time it was on internet usage and how it is going in the mission.

 How are your investigators? 
Good.  S, the young single adult, is making progress.  She is super awesome and open to what we have to teach.  Hopefully she will be ready for a baptisimal commitment this week!  

Who are you teaching? 
Our two biggest investigators are S (the YSA) and the husband of a woman in our ward.  There are other people here and there.  Oh and a lady from Oregon.  She asked if I knew someone and I forgot their name!  

 What do you spend your days doing?  
We spend our days doing missionary work.  Since we live in Freilassing life just takes more time than Freiburg.  But we teach, we don't door, we do a lot of going by on people.  Right now we have been trying to get in contact with every less active and check addresses, etc.

Are you going to Linz soon? (Where her trainer, Sis Peterson is serving, she'll work with her for a day or two)
This week.

How are you feeling about the ward, are they warmed up to you yet? 
Love the ward!

What other missionaries are in your District?  
Elder Stilger, Elder Halversen, Elder Krieger, Elder Pope, Elder Nägli, Elder Young, the Smiths, and Us

Do you do things with them on pdays or are you all too busy with your extra assignments?
We don't usually do district stuff just because we always seem to have appointments on Mondays.  But we do stuff with the Smiths a lot.

  Do you get many eating appointments?
Yup
 Have you eaten anything wonderful or weird? 
Fleischstrüdel.  It's like an apple strudel but with meat.  It's such a traditional Austrian dish that they don't even serve it at traditional Austrian food cafes a lot of the time.  No weird stuff, just lots of good Austrian food.




A chimney sweep!!!


1 comment:

  1. Loved her sharing time! Those kids will never forget. What a positive impact she is having!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!