Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, March 3, 2014

The Bus: Episode II and lessons in humility


Let's flash back to a moment on my mission I will never forget.  The time Sister Peterson and I thought we could outsmart public transportation and walk to an appointment when we got off a stop early.  It ended up taking an extra hour and we laughed about it for weeks afterwards.

You would think I'd have learned my lesson.

On Saturday Sister Clark and I were excited as we only had one more family to try to get in contact with as the ward wanted us to check the addresses.  This last one was in a smaller city north of us called Laufen.  We checked the train times and it looked like with a Regiobahn (a regional train) it only took 8 minutes.  It was a beautiful day on Saturday and we had the bright idea, "Hey, it only takes 8 minutes with a train!  Let's ride our bikes!"

An hour later we roll into Laufen with shaky legs and lungs of lead.  Holy cow we were tired!  We had successfully taken our little city cruiser bicycles up and down the rolling hills of the eastern Bayerisch Landscape.  It was absolutely gorgeous and like a movie.  But it was also a pretty stupid idea.  You would think this far on my mission I would be smarter.  But I suppose adventure was just calling!  Gosh, even thinking about it makes me huff and puff.

We outsmarted our stupid mistake and just took our bikes with us on a train home.
These photos are from last week's pday, they went to the Fortress Hohensalzburg 


I can officially check two things off of my mission bucket list!  The first being that we met in a bar.

Sister Garrett and I met the nicest man, M, on the street the other day.  We just said hello and he beamed and talked with us.  Probably one of the friendliest people I have ever met.  We had an appointment set up with him Tuesday evening and I honestly thought it was too good to be true.  I figured it would probably end up falling out or we would explain our purpose and he wouldn't want to meet.

I am so ignorant sometimes, honestly.  I totally judged M, totally shut him into a little box of no potential.

We met up where we said we would and then he excitedly told us he had made a cake and his apartment wasn't too far.  I didn't think to bring a joint teach because I was so sure that we would talk on the street a little and he'd have no interest.

It was too late when I realized that he really wanted to meet with us and talk with us.  My stomach just dropped and I felt so bad as we told him we couldn't come over, it was against our rules as missionaries to meet just us two with a man.  He wasn't too happy and we looked around for the closet place to meet.  Right next to us was a little cocktail bar and so we went in and all ordered some peppermint herbal tea and sat down.

I totally was called to repentance as we talked with him about the Book of Mormon and what we believe.  He was so open to letting us share what is important to us, and took the French Book of Mormon that we brought eagerly!  We are going to meet with him soon, hopefully this week if his work schedule and our schedule works out!

It ended up being a great experience, and yet another learning experience for me about how important it is to look at everyone with the perspective of the potential they have!  If we, as disciples of Jesus Christ, don't believe in their potential, who will?
Knock knock...its the missionaries!

Sister Clark



The other bucket list item, we met with the Priest!  It was a fun lesson, we taught him the Restoration and he was totally open to it, but you can also tell that a lot of things just don't makes sense to him.  That's alright, he committed to read in the Book of Mormon!  If it weren't totally blasphemous, I'd bet money on the Book of Mormon!  He also wants to meet again, and he wants to come to Church and see how the Sacrament is done in our meetings, but he has his own Mass to help with.  So we'll see when he can come.

Okay, I guess this week my natural prideful self was popped like a balloon a few times because I had a super cool study experience.  I have been studying in Preach My Gospel about the Book of Mormon (I have a goal of using it better in my teaching).  I had finished studying the main context of the chapter when I opened to the exercises and additional study section.  Right at the beginning is one of those nagging personal study activities that sound like a chore so I always ignore them.  The activity is to take certain chapters and highlight every reference to Christ, or his attribute, or his name, etc.  I thought to myself, yeah right I'm going to do that!  What a chore, and how in the world is THAT going to help ME?

Well, I got over myself a little bit and started to do it with 2 Nephi 9.  I just highlighted whenever it was referencing to Him doing something or was talking about Him.  I just highlight the "er" or "seine" or "Christus" in pink lightly.  IT WAS AMAZING.  Somehow, it just concentrated me on what he does for us, what he has done for us, how much he loves us, who he is.  I was blown away by the spirit that I felt, the overwhelming love and understanding!

The next day  I looked at the activity (this time with 2 Nephi 30) and think, nah, what a chore.  It was good yesterday, but I am not going to do it again, I am way above that.  But I once again got over myself and did it and once again it totally brought the spirit and was phenomenal!

I suppose I am like the Nephites and Lamanites in the Americas because finally the third time, I didn't even question to do the activity with 2 Nephi 31.  And once again it was absolutely fantastic.



I am just grateful that in this Gospel we will never be finished, which makes sense, because this Gospel is life!  We can always progress, we can always get over ourselves in some way and be better.  Some times I know that I am tempted to turn that negative and think of it in the lens that I will never be good enough, but that frankly isn't true.  If we are keeping our covenants, of course we are good enough!  The opportunity for improvement doesn't mean that we are bad, it just means that we fortunately are good enough to have something to build on.  We have a sure enough foundation that we can grow more!

I am so grateful for my mission.  I think about my life before the mission and I always compare it to a Claritin Clear commercial.  It's like now, the film across the lens is taken off and everything is brighter and more worthwhile.

The mission is just the best.  I love being here.

I love you all so much!  Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Henry












1 comment:

  1. She has a good balance with taking the work seriously and not taking herself/mistakes seriously! No wonder she is so happy and positive all the time! Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!