Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Can I give your kid a balloon?

Yet another castle!


So the summer weather is here!  It has been hot and sunny!  Which I don't mind at all, it's much easier to be outside all day when it's warm outside, than when it is cold, wet, and rainy.  I love being a missionary in the summer!  Everyone is so happy and open to talk, and if you need to have a lesson with a man, you can can find a public place to meet much easier than when it is cold outside.
  
                                This is from the week before, on the way to Golling




On Saturday we had an Ausstellung in our stomping grounds in Freilassing.  It was really fun, we set up next to the Saturday Market and really tried to make it bright, fun, and happy.  I brought my little Oonze Angle speaker and we had EFY music playing in the background, while we really tried to just get the news out about the fact that we are from the Mormon church (not Catholic, Evangelisch, Jehovah's Witness, etc.), that we believe in Jesus Christ, and that we are happy!
We decided to do something we had seen the missionaries in Switzerland do, and contact with Balloons.  It was super fun, we tied little "I'm a Mormon" cards on them with a little candy and then handed them out to every little kid we saw. 






At first it was really funny because parents wouldn't let their kids have one.  We were so confused, and sad that they were so against people from a church.  But then we realized that here in Europe, it's really weird for something to be given out for free.  A lot of times what beggars do is put a rose in someones hand, and then make them pay for it because they took it.  Lots of little tricks like that.  So it makes sense they were a bit wary at first.

But then after a while we started giving them out, and it was such a success!  There were kids coming up to us asking for balloons and if you looked down the streets of the market, you just saw little balloons sticking out of the crowds.


You know what the best part is?  Those were families!  Families were the ones that saw the cards, that came to the stand to get the balloons.  It was so fun!  And everyone was so happy, excited, and friendly to us.  It was really cool.







So you know how we need to not run faster than we have strength?  Well, I need to definitely learn the balance with that one.  I ran a little too fast this week, and even though we saw a lot of success, I was so unhappy!  (she was so hard on herself last week I'm not surprised she tried to work beyond her capacity)  So, I know both sides of the balance, both extremes, and with the Lord's help I get to figure out the balance.  I don't want to have the regret of not giving my best on my mission, but I also don't want to regret being so focused on the small things on the mission that I don't enjoy the big picture, so I am just figuring it all out.  The voice lesson I taught Saturday to the ward members went great, the music you sent was perfect!

Man, life is so cool!  We get to just learn and get better!  It sort of stinks because we have to go through some hot refiners fire to learn those lessons, but we also all know that, I think Elder Uchtdorf said something along these lines, from the tops of those mountains we get to look back at the valleys of experience.  That's always the best.

Well, I don't know what else to write.  I am living, I am learning, I'm a missionary!

Transfer calls is on Friday.  I will let you know what happens.  I don't want to leave Salzburg, so that probably means I am getting the boot.  Haha. But I love this place and these people.  There is no way to explain the way a missionary feels about the people they serve.  You just love them, 100% pure, concentrated, Christ-Like love.




I love you and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Sister Henry

 The mountain they are hiking today!!! The Untersberg!



1 comment:

  1. I just picture all the balloons up and down the street! I would imagine that sometimes that instant gratification does so much for the missionaries attitudes! I think she feels a lot like Elder Richman did when he left Passau. Go Sister Henry!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!