Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Saga of Untersberg


​So I will tell you of our Monday Pday adventure and you can draw as many Gospel Parables as you'd like.  There are thousands, I have already found many.

So I signed off of Emails on Monday and we hopped on the bus to the station that we were supposed to go to climb to the top of Untersberg.  It was us, the Salzburg Elders, and the Neumarkt elders.  We start down the trail with the information that we got from different ward members and were very excited for a good ol' hike.

We start going down the trail, and it seemed to be pretty overgrown, but we got to a clearing with two very distinct trails.  There wasn't really a sign, which was kinda weird, but one slanted up. and one went away from the mountain, so we decided to go right (the one going up) as it seemed a good choice.

We go down the trail a little ways, and then there's a sign over on the left telling us that our lives are in danger if we go there.  I question it a bit, but am convinced that it's telling me my life is in danger if I go over there, but if we stick to the trail, it's fine.  That seemed to make sense, so we kept going forward.

There came to a point where the trail really stopped, but there was a small footpath that kept going forward.  Now I have hiked quite a bit with Dad, and when you are on a trail that a lot of people go on, they are usually well trodden.  But I am once again convinced that, hey, there's a Bahn (gondola) to the top of the mountain, of course not very many people go on this trail.  So we keep going forward.


It starts to get pretty overgrown and super slippery from some of the leaves from fall that the snow had melted off.  We keep going and then all of a sudden the trail/footpath just stops.  Well, finally I tell everyone, "Look, my Dad told me NEVER to go off a trail when you are hiking."  Sister Clark and I decide to leave the Elders, who wanted to "explore" a little bit, and we went back to where we came from and tried the other way on the fork.  The path that seemed to go away from the mountain.


We go down that path about 3 minutes and see another Danger to Your Life sign.  This time telling us there's a shooting range ahead. 

We decide this just can't be the right trail and back track a little bit more.  We then find that the sign for the real trail head had fallen down and the bushes were just enough over grown that the direction we had walked had caused us to miss the trail head.  We glance down it, and then we go down to the real foot of all the trails with the little sign talking about the available trails to take.

We heard from one of the Elders that the trail that we were going to take only took 2 hours and we could ride the Bahn back down.  On the sign it said 3 hours, so we decided to ask someone.  We talked to an old man who said it would take us about 4 hours, and that we really should have better gear, but that we could try it and see what happens.  He advised us not to, and we thanked him for his advice.  

We went back to the trail head and mullled it over.  We realized that we would much rather be safe than sorry, and decided to just head back to the bus.  We had gotten a little hiking in and the sun was shining so it was a successful Pday for us.

We get to the Bus Stop and decide to walk down the street a little ways, just in case.  There is a sign saying which direction the Bahn is (sorry, the Bahn is the Gondola that takes us up to the top) and so we walk in that direction, just to try our luck.

We get to another Bus Stop and find out that that is where the special Bus to the Gondola stops but only once an hour.  We look at our watches, and the Bus should be there in 2 minutes!  So we decide to wait, maybe we will ride to the Bahnhof and just see how expensive it is to go up.

We get on the Bus and being the only ones on the bus, have a great chat with the Bus driver.  He was super nice, and taught me that all of the water here in Salzburg is from Untersberg!  He drops us off in front of the Bahnhof and we go in to check the prices.

It looks pretty pricey, but we find out that because I had withdrawn some personal money that morning, Sister Clark and I had EXACTLY the right amount for the both of us.  We decide, you know what!  We only live in Salzburg once!  So we buy the tickets on a whim and the guy tells us the Bahn is about to go, but they'll let us on first.  So we get on, start going, I have a nice chat with the Bahn driver, and then BAM.   Hello Alps!  The view out of the Bahn was so cool!  We were going up huge jagged cliffs, it was nuts!








​We get to the top...I can't even try to explain how breathtaking the view was.  It impressed me so much that that evening as I lay in bed, I still thought of how beautiful it was up there.  We truly felt on top of the world, and it was more spectacular than we could have possibly imagined.  It was awesome, in the very definition of the word.  Truly breathtaking.

We thought about later how big the process to get to the top was.  But we then realized that, had the day worked out any different, we would not have ended up on the top of the mountain.  Oh, we would have had a great Pday and enjoyed hiking.  We couldn't have made it to the top, as the trail we were going to take took us about half way up to a certain house that you can rent rooms for the night.  It would have been pretty, and all that we would have imagined.

But God knew just how much more beautiful the top of the mountain was.  He also knew that right now, on our missions with our limited Pday time, there was only one way for us to get there.  So, He being Almighty and all knowing, got us up there.  I am so grateful from my whole entire heart that He did so!  It was just phenomenal.

From Sister Clark's letter: 

My 'hike' up to Untersberg was interesting.  We started off on one trail, and the trail kept getting smaller and smaller and we just kept hiking higher and higher and we got to a point where i was like, hey! This is not the trail!! Sister Henry agreed because we were both taught from our Dad's to not hike on an unmarked trail.  (thanks Dad!)  As we headed down, without the Elders of our district, because they were determined to say they were right and to continue going up, we talked about how the Lord protects us by also letting us use our common sense.  As we headed down another trail, which I have to admit, I thought was right, ended up having a DANGER sign pop up and tell us we can't go any farther because of 'open fire'.  Well that was definitely not right either! So a bit discouraged we headed to the beginning of the trail again.  We ended up finding the right trail, but after talking with some experienced hikers, we decided against it and to just go see how much the gondola cost.  We got to the bus right on time, (which only goes 1 every hour) and ended up getting to the station right before it headed up! We made a very rash decision and decided to just GO!  As we headed up we saw the most beautiful views I've ever seen in my whole life!! (don't worry, by this time, the elders had called us and we talked them into walking down and coming on the gondola with us, but they hadn't made it with as good as time as us.)  As we walked around the top of Untersberg and hiked around we just really thought about how God really lead us to this option.  He knew our true desire of our hearts was to get to the top to see the view and enjoy it along the way.  The trail we found out later, would have been WAY to hard for us.  people train for weeks and months to be able to make it!  We were able to enjoy the maximum amount of time up there and just really enjoy it!! It was beautiful! I kept saying, I feel like I'm on top of the world!!!! :) It was wonderful! And the elders told us the next day that they wrote in their journals to always listen to their wives one day! :)  (I thought that was so funny I had to include it--Lisa)

I will write a little bit more about this week.  We had an awesome Zone Training and Zone Conference with the Miles.  It was really sad to see them go, but I know I mostly just an overwhelming gratitude for them and all that they have done.  They also did a great job to help us be excited for President and Sister Kohler, and we are super excited!  We have been praying for them every day.
Salzburg Zone

Elder Sharp

Sister Jenson
Elder Morrill

Elder Dickson from Washington
That's Elder Wasden (other ZL) in front


 Elder Glück
Last hug from President and Sister Miles 
And of course, I am getting transferred.  There are a lot of feelings, but mostly just a bursting sense of gratitude.  I have learned so much here in Salzburg.  I feel like the extraordinary, awe inspiring jagged Alps represent a lot of my feelings about this area.  It is really hard to explain, but I  feel as if my time here was really worth every moment.  I look back and don't regret a single minute, it really did shape my life.



With her Primary children she plays the piano for each week


Chalkboard sketch of Salzburg



I also couldn't be happier about getting called to Singen.  I was beaming all day after the transfer call came :)  (see zone conference photos above)

Well, that's all for today.  I love you all.  I hope your week is fantastic.

Hurrah for Israel!

Sister Henry


1 comment:

  1. What an exciting week! I so enjoying watching her grow each week! Love her testimony!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!