Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, June 23, 2014

YOU are created in the image of God!

Well, I'm home!

It was so nuts coming back to Baden Württemberg, and so close to the area that I started my mission!  I was having déjà vuthe whole day on Thursday!  There was a point on the train ride from Munich to Stuttgart that I realized that was the very point where I first talked to my first friend here in Germany, his name was Manfred.       That was almost a year ago!  Time flies, holy cow!
     It's so funny, because before you transfer you always brace yourself for it and think you're prepared to go jump cold water into a new area, and yet it still always catches you off guard.  There have been multiple times this week where I have to tell myself "Slow down, Sister Henry.  You can't know a ward or an area in three days!"  But it's good, I reckon I'll be here until December so I have plenty of time to get to know everyone.
     It's interesting getting transferred and thinking this will probably be my last area.  This is the last third of my mission, the last leg. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I want to use this time.  What do I want to do with this last third?
     I was studying the other day the awesome missionary examples of Ammon and Aaron when I came across a verse which I really enjoyed.  It's Alma 18:34
     I am a man; and man in the beginning was created after the image of God, and I am called by his Holy Spirit to teach these things unto this people, that they may be brought to a knowledge of that which is just and true;
     (I like it better in German) but it's still a great scripture.  I thought about this, I am a man (or a Mensch).  I am just a person, just Sister Henry going around trying to do her best.
     But then the second thought, that I am created after the image of God.  Just stop for a second and think about that.  You are created in the image of God.
     Actually, to take a tangent, yesterday in my studies I was reading about God as the creator and all of the worlds he has created.  I then put my "okay, Sis. H. we're going into too deep of doctrine, let's get back on course" mode on.  Then I thought, no! I want to ponder this for a while.  So then I thought, and I tried to comprehend.  I thought of all of the galaxies out there, all of the mass, all of the wonder.  I thought of God, and the worlds that are created.  I thought about who God is, and then thought further to what may also be there.
     I sat back in awe at the thought of how expansive it all really is.  How great all of it is.
     Going back to that scripture, that we are created after the image of God...wow.  We are created after the image of GOD.  All of the wonder out there, all of the magnificence, is dull when compared to the worth and wonder of each and every human being on this earth.
     I then loved the rest of the verse because it reminded me of my calling.  I am called to teach these things to people.  I have been called, and not just that, but I have taken this calling upon me and I am doing it.
     So for this last third of my mission, I realize that I just want to do it!  I want to be the missionary I always wanted to be, and the missionary that I have become and am becoming!  I just want to let myself be selfless and happy.  Not worrying about the things in the Lord's control, but just living every day with an eye full of faith.  There is no reason for me to worry, I'm a missionary!  
     I am really looking forward to this chapter in my life.  Man, I know I say this all the time, but I am just so blessed.  I just shake my head at the outpouring of blessings that my Father in Heaven has given to me.  I love Him so much.  I am so grateful for Him!
     I love you, have a great week!  I hope it gives you lots of reasons to smile.
Love,
Sister Henry

Notes from our email:  She and Sister Hammock love to chit chat and are already a fun companionship. They are serving in a small branch and are Sister Training Leaders (Sister Zone Leaders) over Freiburg and Lahr too, so they will do exchanges there at least once a transfer as well as serving the people of their area in Singen. The Zone Leaders Elder Michaelson and Elder Allen also serve in Singen, and they are getting an ehe paar couple (senior missionaries) soon. 
Sister Clark and Sister Henry at their favorite cafe for lunch before transfers =) (Sister Clark just emailed me and said the Salzburg Ward misses her bunches & bunches)
 They said the ladies in the corner are them, in 40 years =)

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with her efforts to learn. I think she is learning more than she even anticipated! Love her letters and how teachable she is. Can't believe she is on her last third! I hope I can meet this wonderful Sister someday :)

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!