Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Faith Planted in our Hearts

If you would like Elder Henry's letters emailed to you, very similar to Sister Henry's but a little shorter ;o) let me know.--Lisa

Okay the first thing of note, the spontaneous patches of wildflowers are popping up everywhere here in Southern Germany, and I love them so much!  I totally forgot about them over the winter, but seeing them again makes me wish I could live here forever.  I love this place so much, this is seriously the most beautiful part of the world.
Many of these photos are in Konstanz where she has spent some pdays and had a Finding Day







 Actually it was funny, I had one of those "You know you've been away from America when..." moments this week.  We were in Konstanz and there was a building that said it was built in 1852.  I thought to myself, "Oh, okay. That's a seemingly new house" 

I am pretty sure before my mission 1852 wouldn't seem new...
So we had so many miracles this week I wish I could list them all!  Here's an example, an investigator of ours that has been hard to reach called us on Friday and asked what time he should come to church.  Then yesterday, HE CAME!  We have a recently moved in member of our ward who is also from Nigeria, and it worked out perfectly.  They got along great, and it was so cool because D had taken that step by himself!  We are meeting with him tomorrow.  Miracles do happen, they really do!

We also had a ton of success with Less actives this week.  We went by on one, she said come back in an hour, so we went by on another, set up an appointment, went back to the first, and had a lesson!  We just decided to take the plunge and start teaching less actives and baptizing their families.  It is a little scary; just because you have to sort of step out of the old ways and into the new.  My whole mission, I thought dooring all day and finding through that made me in a way more successful.  But something President Kohler has really taught me is that to work smart, we need to step out of our box and do it.  So we are doing that, and honestly, I know this is what's right because the spirit has been so strong in our less active lessons.

For example, we met with Schwester L twice this past week, and the second lesson we started off by inviting everyone to the lesson.  She has two boys, 18 and 6 years old, and her sister and 9 year old daughter also live with them.  They speak Spanish at home, and so the sister and a friend that was visiting unfortunately did not join the lesson, but all of the kids did.  We had decided to teach about Faith being like a seed, using the parable in Alma chapter 32. 

THE KIDS LOVED IT!  And it was so cool because Schwester L got to help teach so much of the lesson and rekindle her testimony!  It was one of the most Spirit filled lessons, as we had brought a little mug and some seeds, and let the kids plant their own seeds to grow between our lessons. 
We then invited them to church and the kids (the 6 and 9 year old) said, "We want to go! We want to go!" Unfortunately they were busy this week, but as we continue to flood their home with the spirit and invite them, I know that miracles can happen in this family.
It was seriously miracle after miracle this week and it made me realize once again, that this is God's work and when we are doing what we can, then we really don't need to be afraid because God's work will go forward in His own time.  I am so excited to really get my elbows in the dirt here and work work work!  This is such an amazing area, with some of the best members I have met in my life. 





I read something during my studies today that really impressed me.  It was one of the moments when the wave of the spirit comes over you.  I was reading a conference talk from October 2012, Is Faith in the Atonement Written in our Hearts?  Sister Reeves quotes Jeremiah 31:33-34

"..After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people...
...for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."
I realized that this describes perfectly what a mission means.  It is a time where God puts His law in our inward parts, that his law becomes written on our hearts.  Every single missionary, regardless of circumstances.
I just feel so blessed to be out here on my mission.  Gosh, I can already tell you that my mission means more than the world to me.  Even if I went home on Thursday with Sister Hammock, I would be filled in awe of all of the wonder that this past year has contained.  And you know what the best part is?  I don't go home on Thursday, I still have 3 transfers of miracles and awe ahead of me! 
I know that this work transcends these 18 months, but I also am so grateful for these 18 months.  My mission is the greatest time God has given to me up to this point, and I wouldn't change a single moment of it for the world.  It is incredible. 
Well, Sister Hammock and I have to exchange pictures and stuff so I gotta wrap up my email, but I love you all so much!  Stay strong, stay true!  Let yourself be happy; stay true to the covenants you've made!
LOVE YOU!
Love,
Sister Henry

Updates from our emailing back and forth:  My new companion is Sister Kutschke, a German! Oh and I got released as a STL and I am so happy about it!  Singen really needs us 100% here in our areaI don't think I'll train on my mission, but that's okay. I already feel a huge mantle lifted from my shoulders.  I also cried a little the other day because I realized that God let me go to Freiburg on that Austausch and I probably won't be able to go back.  Just the thought that he let me be there for Vanessa's birthday really humbles me.  It is amazing.  I get emotional just thinking about it.
     WE HAD A GREAT WEEK.  We have a ton of dinner appointments before Sis Hammock leaves. Today, Sister V took us to Radofzell for Pday and then we had lunch with our new senior couple, the Lees. 








Haha yeah if I want to come back and backpack through Europe, I definitely won't need to pay for a place to stay.  I could probably get enough meals to keep me through, also.  It's fun knowing how to get around Europe.  I wouldn't mind staying with the Hubys! 
Yeah I would love to work closely with her (Professor Megan Jones) when I get back to school.  I'll send her an email in September or so, before classes.  I just think she and I are a lot alike.  We love theater but more than that, we love learning. (She is an RM and the head of the program Sis Henry is studying, she encouraged her to serve her mission).
Hopefully I can get an internship near home so that I can have a summer with the family again :)  Man, that would be so fun!  Work for President Christensen, and help out with some camps and internships.  I just can't help but feel like the future looks bright!




1 comment:

  1. what a great letter! She is absolutely fabulous with kids! They will never forget Sister Henry!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!