Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Surprise in Sacrament Meeting!

We went to Rhein falls!  It was really cool!



So yesterday I learned that all of those hours studying up on Avatar paid off!  Watching the show 3 times through in one school year at college, best idea ever!  We got to the appointment, and the kids were finishing up an episode on the couch.  They finished and then obviously I started talking with them about Avatar.  There was still some time before lunch was ready, and so we decided to play some avatar.  (Sort of like how we used to play Megaman on the trampoline when we were kids).  All 4 of us picked a character, Fabio was Aang, Emelia was Katara, Sister Hammock was Princess Azula, and I was, of course, Appa the flying Bison.
   (here is the photo of the fun Zone Leaders we had serving in our ward when the kids were little, Elder Lambeth and I can't remember the other Elder's name, playing Megaman with our boys)


Every time the kids wanted to go and fight Princess Azula across the room, they would yell, "Appa! Yip Yip!" and I would come over on all fours, load them on, and we'd go fight the firelord's daughter until it was time to retreat!  Don't worry, I even opened my mouth and blew my big gusts of air when Aang and Katara didn't have enough energy.
It was pretty fun, because then the kids called me their Bison the rest of the appointment.  "Mein Bison muss essen" "Ich will neben meinen Bison sitzen!" "My Bison must eat." "I want to sit next to my Bison!"  Bison is pronounced Bee-zohn sort of.  I decided they need to get me a new nametag "Sister Henry: Everyone's favorite Bison."
It was a ton of fun, don't worry we had a great lesson and did missionary work too :)
I just thought about how when I was a kid, the missionaries always played with us and that really means so much.  I think it's so important that as missionaries, we don't forget the kids.  We need to love them so that they grow up and want to be like us, want to go serve missions.  If they have the desire to serve a mission, then they'll want to stay on that path that gets them to that desire.  There is just no influence like a missionary to a little kid.  Especially Elders, Elders have the power to influence boys lives like nobody else.
So, I experienced a tender mercy this week.  I was feeling like things weren't really happening, you know, just getting down like us people tend to do.  We were at church and no investigators were there, which was a bummer but L went back to her homeland and E has been busy with work so we were sort of expecting it.  In spite of that,  I was still feeling a little down, when we look out the window and see a man pull up in his bicycle.  At first we thought it was E, but upon further inspection we realize it was a different man.

He walks in, gets greeted by Benjie, then by Sister Hammock, then I go to shake his hand and I realize I recognize him from Somewhere.  I ask him if we've met before, and then he reminds me that we had met in the Bus and continued to talk in the train all the way down to Konstanz.  I totally remember talking to him!  His name is P, and it was one of those conversations, where I just chatting and chatting with him, even though I thought nothing would come of it.  I had given him a card with our number, and he had gone his way.  I seriously thought nothing of it, just another one of those conversations. 
THEN HE SHOWS UP AT CHURCH FOR SACRAMENT MEETING!  He's so funny, he sat down next to me, told me he's Catholic and not planning on changing, is just interested to see our meeting.  I told him it's not a problem!  I am just happy he is there!  He really enjoyed the spirit he felt during the meeting, although he had to leave shortly after the sacrament for an appointment.  We got his phone number, and he said he'd come back for the whole meeting not next week, but the week after.
I was just so impressed.  I feel like, when we sort of hit the bottom and feel like nothing is really happening, God sends us a little miracle to help us blink into eternity.  He is so mighty, he has so much power.  This work will go forward according to his timing, according to his will.  We just need to have the courage to do his will, to do the little hard things that seem of no use, but really end up making all the difference.

Sometimes I think, man, all I can do is carry on a conversation with anybody.  That's nice, but I need to have this persons spiritual gift, or that persons spiritual gift.  Of course it is important to seek to improve ourselves and develop new talents and gifts, but I think God really wanted to remind me that he's called me to the work and he knows my strengths and weaknesses perfectly.  He knows exactly what I am going to do, and he will use me accordingly.
It's my last full week with Sister Hammock :(  There is just nothing like a mission companion.  It's funny because before my mission, I was so scared to have to spend all day with another person every day.  I thought it would be so hard!  But little did I know it's the best thing ever!  You always have someone to chat with and talk to and share funny things with.  I have a feeling that's why people get married so fast after their mission, life is just so much more fun with someone else!
Oh, and we had an Austausch with Lahr this week.  I got to work with Sister Packer who is AWESOME.  She taught me so much, just from her example as a true servant of God!  We took the train ride to Offenburg, the same train ride the first time I visited Singen as a Golden.  It winds through the prettiest part of the Black Forest.  I thought to myself, "Move over Süd Tirol! I might end up living in the Schwarzwald!"  You are right Mom, I just can't help but fall in love with every place that I am!
I gotta go, but the work is going forward!  Gosh, I know I say this all the time, but missions really are the best!

I love you!

Love,
Sister Henry

Chat things: Zone training was great!  I play piano in relief society some times.  I want to do a musical number soon, the branch loves my voice.
     Oh I almost forgot to upload them!  I love the muggy weather, today it's actually cold and overcast again, but it's been nice the last few days.
     Awe, tell Sam (Marrott, a 9 year old in our ward) I say hi also.  Did you read my letter?  I love playing with kids.
     I actually have thought about motivational speaking and how much I would love to do that for a career.  I love leading meetings and just getting people excited and public speaking.  So that could be some really fun work.
















 Me eating watermelon while doing my studies.  I ate a whole quarter of a watermelon. 





    

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a fun week! What a difference she is making! God is so good to give her that miracle and let her know just listening and showing interest is important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man its too bad that she doesn't get to see or do anything fun, and that she is a slacker and not touching peoples hearts all over the place. (Kidding of course) :-) Oh my goodness.....I am sure she has an affect on so many others she has just talked too that she doesn't even know. What a great missionary!! The Church is in good hands with Elders and Sisters like this.

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!