Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, August 11, 2014

Pick up basketball in a bubble gum pink skirt


Isn't life just the best?  It is so hard to write in an email about all of the experiences, and ups, and downs of a week.  But one thing I am constantly impressed with, is just how dynamic life is.  It is so cool that life is full of ups and downs.  It's like the difference between a flat Nevada freeway and a roller coaster at six flags.  We spend so much time and money, just so we can spend a couple of minutes getting whipped around, going up and down on those rollercoasters!  Maybe that's the sort of excitement we had in the life before this when waiting in anticipation to come here to this earth.
 
So, here is the funny story of the week!  We got on the Bus in Radofzell to go by on a less active.  The Bus driver asked us about our name tags, so we sat at the front of the bus and started chatting with him.  He's a really nice guy that has been living here for about 25 years.  He first came as a refugee but now has work, has his family here, and feels really blessed that God has given him such a great life.  We had a great chat, and left him with a card and some information about the church.
 
Then, the next day, we get on the Bus in Singen, and guess who is driving?!  The same bus driver!  We say hi, shake hands, and then go take our seats.  Unfortunately, the front seats were taken, so we had to sit in the middle of the bus and couldn't chat with him.  
 
We are waiting for the bus to take off, when he comes to us and asks us if we want some coffee.  We say, "No, thank you.  We don't drink coffee."  and then he asks if we'd like some Tee.  Well, one thing I have learned on my mission is that if someone offers you a drink as a gesture of hospitality, and it's not against the word of wisdom to drink it, you really should drink it.  So we let him know, we'd love som fruit tee, sort of puzzled why our bus driver is asking.
 
He then gets out of the bus, goes to the nearest little food shop, and asks if they have any tea.  Unfortunately they didn't, and he came back on the bus a little bummed.  We told him it wasn't a problem, and that was so nice he offered!
 
Then, we are halfway into the ride home, when he stops the bus in front of a bakery.  He tells all of the people on the bus, sorry, it will only take me 5 minutes!  Then he gets OFF the bus, goes into the bakery, and a few minutes later comes back with two cups of tea!  He gives one to me and one to Sister Kutschke, and then gets back behind the wheel, and finishes the route.
 
All of the people were asking him who we were and he goes, " Don't you know?!  They're missionaries!  Those are missionaries!" 
 
I just was so humbled, I mean, I was shaking my head in disbelief.  Seriously?  Does this really happen?  I just can't believe it.  I just can not believe how much love there is in the world, and if we really step out of our comfort zone and show others that we love them, we will recieve love in return a hundredfold. 
 
It pains me because we both forgot his name and the country he came from!  He has the info to contact us, but we don't know how to find him!  We didn't have the opportunity to talk to him when we got off of the bus, I mean I should have made the opportunity, but it was just like a whirlwind of, "What just happened?!  Why do I have tea in my hand?!"  But you never know, miracles happen.  I am a believer!
 
I also learned today that just because you are wearing a bubble gum pink skirt doesn't mean you can't play a little game of pick up basketball in the church parking lot.  There was this kid sitting under our hoop, and so I went to go talk to him.  I think decided, what the heck, so we played a little one on one.  I am sure that was a riot for anyone watching.  He's a good kid, he's almost 16 and his parents are from Africa but he was born and raised here.  Anyways, we are bringing the Elders and are going to play again on Friday.
 
I just love my mission, it is the best.  It is so hard. 
 
Actually, on my mission I have developed a real affinity for the story of The Little Train That Could.  There are some times where all I can do is say to myself over and over, "I think I can! I think I can!"  Man, I have never been brought to my knees so much in my life.  I can't even begin to explain how humbling it is to be a missionary.  It really just changes you because for the first time in your life, you only have God.  You don't have your naps to sleep off the stress, or your movies and books to take you to another place, or your Mom that you can just call up and have someone to talk to.  Instead you just pray, and then pray, and then pray some more.  Then you get up, and you go do it. 
 
I wouldn't trade this roller coaster for the world.  I think for the first time, I am starting to understand that my downs in life are just as wonderful, exciting, and marvelous as my ups.  The fact that God has let me begin to learn that is really something special.
 
I love it here so much, I simply just love life so much!  How fantastic it is that we get to live it.  Life is the best!
 
I love you all!  Keep on keeping on!
 
Love,

Sister Henry
(Photos wouldn't upload on the computer she was renting this week)

Hi Daddy!  I am going to the (Bern Switzerland) temple on Wednesday.  If you have a name that I can do, then you can email the information to the Lees (Mom has their email) and I'll take it to the temple!  If it doesn't work out, then I can just get a name there :)  Endowment or Initiatories.
I hope everything works out with the Job!  
Love,
Sher Bear

1 comment:

  1. My favorite post of hers yet! She really needs to get that book "The Little Train That Could" in German! I don't think I'll ever get over that bus driver story...:)

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!