Translate Sherry's blog to your language!

Monday, September 15, 2014

"We have to shine so bright that we can't be missed."


Guess what?!  N is getting baptized on Saturday!  (the man on the far right)

​A really tender experience for me happened this week.  We had ward council on Thursday, and C had finished up the program for N's baptism.  She had asked him to pick a scripture out to have on the baptismal program and this is the one that he chose:
"...And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I mightknow these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his HolySpirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me." Alma 5:45-46
     I read that on the back of the program and just thought, holy cow, I am so blessed!  I am so blessed that we have been able to watch N from the very start fully embrace the Gospel!  I feel so grateful and so blessed to call him my friend, and I am so entirely and truly excited for him to be baptized on Saturday!  I am so happy for him.
It has been so cool to watch the light come into his life.  To just see in these few short weeks how he has changed.  It truly is like a light has come into his eyes and he is just simply happier.  He just came into the internet shop to do something and he is simply so happy!  I know God has big things in store for him, and I feel so blessed to have crossed paths with Him and to be able to have him be my friend.
     My Birthday was really great!  Another year come and gone.  It is crazy to think that my entire 20th year was as a missionary.  That is a great way to start out my third decade.  I am excited, now, too, because when I go home I may get mission sick.  But now, if I ever miss the smell of public transportation on a Friday evening, all I have to do is walk into a bar.  Just kidding, that was just a joke.  But I have become very acquainted with the smell of Alcohol on my mission.  
     It's pretty sad, actually.  People are so addicted here.  My heart just aches for them, for the drunk men you see in the streets at 5:00 in the evening.  You want to help them, you know?  I feel so blessed to have been raised in a family where I was taught principles which kept me far away from any sort of addictive substance.  Of course, the choice is always ours, no matter where we are raised.  But it really is a bonus to have been raised how I was.
The Gospel truly blesses us. It is like that talk, do we really know what we have?  Do we really understand how truly blessed we are to have the knowledge and the principles that we have?  I don't think I really understand, I think I am learning more and more every day, but I don't think I truly understand.  To have such a vast access to so much truth!  To know who we are, where we came from, why we are here.  That is something really special, something that we should really be grateful for.
It's also something that we should share.  People notice that we are happy, that we have something different.            That even though sometimes life is hard, we have an inner peace knowing that it will all be okay.  Everyone wants that deep down inside, too.  There are just a lot of loud noises in the world, a lot of distractions.  So we really need to do our best, as members of the church, to shine as bright as we can.  We have to shine so bright that we can't be missed, you know?
      I think that's my biggest goal after my mission.  To simply always be this bright.  To walk around a city, and still have people notice a difference, a happiness.  Of course, it takes work to have that bright light.  It takes scriptures study, it takes prayer, and it takes church.  The more we study our scriptures, the more sincerely we pray, and the more active we our in our covenants as a church member, the brighter that light gets.
     Man, we are just so blessed!  We are so blessed.
I love you all, I am not counting down or anything...but...I am excited to see you all in like 12 weeks ;)       (Mom: 11 1/2! No app, just my brain doing the math haha)

Love,
Sister Henry

PS Thanks for taking care of the school stuff, it sounds like it should all work out no matter what.  It is kinda weird jumping back in for Winter Semester, but everything will work out how it is supposed to.   I have only heard really good things about Sister Sanft, I think it is awesome that she is your friend.  It's not coincidence that Elder Sanft and I are serving in the same district, I think you and her were supposed to get close and help each other. 


With her Bishop's daughter, and the ward mission leader, he's quite a fun character!


Her beautiful birthday meal from Oma




Birthday party at the Lee's





1 comment:

  1. Another sweet testimony from the beautiful Sister Henry!

    ReplyDelete

We will forward your comments to Sister Henry!